Police Sergeant remanded in murder of City businessman

Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May 2015, 19:46 by GxMedia

Police Sergeant David Leon Lindo

by Zena Henry

Police Sergeant David Leon Lindo of 220 Belle Dam West Bank Demerara was Thursday May 28 remanded to jail in connection with the murder of city businessman Mohamed F. Khan whose headless body was found in Cummings Lodge late last year.

Lindo who made his first court appearance before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine –Beharry earlier today was accused of conspiring with other persons to cause the death of the businessman who was reportedly made a target following a business dispute with another business person.

The accused is scheduled to return to court on June 12.

According to the charge read by the police prosecutor at the Georgetown Magistrate’s Court, between July 10 and July 18, 2014 Lindo along with Lennox Wayne also known as ‘Two Colours’ conspired to murder Khan. Lindo who was represented by an Attorney was said to have been co-operating with the police throughout the investigation.

While the offence is a bailable one, the police prosecutor requested that the cop be remanded since he poses a flight risk and the severity of his alleged actions led to the death of a person. The prosecutor said that investigations are complete and there are 31 witnesses ready to testify in the matter.

MFK went missing on August 21, 2014. A headless corpse was found the following month and after DNA testing was conducted on the body it was found to be the remains of the missing businessman. Lennox Wayne was apprehended in connection with the matter and Lindo’s name came up with Wayne allegedly gave a statement against the cop.

According to earlier information reported in the media, the confirmed hit man had implicated a retired Assistant Commissioner of Police and the serving Sergeant. Khan suspecting that his life was in danger had given information to media operatives in the event that he was killed.

He had even visited a popular media outlet in an effort to scare his murders into forgetting the scheme since the matter had gone public.

This was after there had been an initial attempt on his life just after he had returned from vacation in the mid part of last year. Khan was shot in the abdomen, but survived.

Khan’s method to go public did not work however, because even after he left Guyana for a second time, it was shortly after his return that he was killed.

The businessman had claimed that his life was in danger over a major transaction he had done involving one of his properties.