Internet Radio

Fire in southern Georgetown leaves several homeless

Last Updated on Thursday, 22 October 2015, 10:12 by GxMedia

Fire believed to be of electrical origin early Thursday morning destroyed a house at Costello Housing Scheme, Georgetown.

No one was injured in the blaze that occurred on Savage Street.  The names of the occupants were not immediately available, but they are well-known as ‘Boxer Money.’

Residents said since about 10 PM Wednesday, they heard what seemed to have been the periodic sounds of single gunshots. “I heard something going ‘boom boom’. He said ‘Mommy that thing sound like a gunshot’ but when he go to the door, he said ‘Mommy come, come, come see this thing.’ When I went is big fire and you heard this thing ‘ pie-pie’. I think it was electrical,” a businesswoman who lives in the area told Demerara Waves Online News.

By 1:30 AM, fire erupted at the two-flat three bedroom house and a nearby utility pole leading to the house.

At the time of the fire, only one person was at home.

Fire fighters were able to contain the blaze by using water from a nearby trench.