Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 0:58 by GxMedia
Following reports of an accident that reportedly claimed the lives of five miners in the Lion Mountain area in Region seven, police investigations have proven that this might not be the case.
Commander of ‘F’ Division Courtney Ramsey told Demerara Waves May 25 that the force received certain information about the accident but after checks were made there was no sign of a wreckage.
Police investigators said that after receiving the information a team was dispatched to the area Sunday, but they turned up empty handed.
Top officials of Alphonso’s company have maintained that none of its trucks has been involved in an accident and a man, who turned up at the Suddie Hospital, was not employee of that entity. A spokesman for the Guyana Gold and Diamond Miners Association (GGDMA) said that organisation was also unaware of the reported mishap.
It was alleged that the “bush truck” the men were travelling in had toppled with 17 persons in its tray and five persons had lost their lives, while the driver had been hospitalised with several injuries.
Sources at the Suddie Police Station had said that they had received reports of an accident which claimed five lives.
Police in the city say there is no evidence to confirm this.