Guyana on Tuesday-Independence Day 2015- awarded several of its sons and daughters for distinguished, long and dedicated service in various fields of endeavor for the first time in four years.
Heading that list is Former Prime Minister, Hamilton Green with the Order of Roraima who has been in the field of politics alongside Independence fighters Cheddi Jagan and Forbes Burnham.
Receiving the Cacique Crown of Honour was another leading player in the independence movement, Attorney-at-Law, Llewelyn John.
Apart from those in the fields of medicine, business, academia, the security sector and administration; a number of former leading members of a previous administration under the People’s National Congress (PNC) were named awardees.
On the Occasion of the forty-ninth Anniversary of the Independence of Guyana, His Excellency Brigadier David Arthur Granger, MSS, President of the Co-operative Republic of Guyana, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Guyana and Chancellor of the Orders of Guyana has been pleased to make the following appointments to the Order of Roraima of Guyana and the Order of Service of Guyana:-
ORDER OF RORAIMA
1. For his long and outstanding involvement in the struggle for independence and for his role in providing public service for three generations.
HAMILTON GREEN FORMER PRIME MINISTER AND PRESENT MAYOR OF GEORGETOWN
2. For her long and outstanding service as an historian and educator at the secondary and tertiary levels and as the administrator of the Mercy Boys’ Home.
SISTER MARY NOEL MENEZES, AA, PROFESSOR EMERITUS
3. For his contributions in the field of law at the National, Regional, Commonwealth and International levels.
BRYNMOR THRONTON INNISS POLLARD, CCH, SC, FORMER CHIEF PARLIAMENTARY COUNSEL, GUYANA
CACIQUE’S CROWN OF HONOUR
1. For long, outstanding and dedicated service in the field of politics, the public service and community work.
EDITH MYRTLE BYNOE, FORMER MINISTER OF THE GOVERNMENT
2. For long and dedicated service as an Ambassador in the Guyana Foreign Service and in the field of politics.
OSCAR CLARKE, GENERAL SECRETARY, PEOPLE’S NATIONAL CONGRESS/REFORM
3. For long, dedicated and outstanding service in the fields of education and politics, as a Minister of the Government and in the Guyana Foreign Service.
YVONNE HAREWOOD-BENN FORMER TEACHER, MINISTER OF THE GOVERNMENT AND CONSUL-GENERAL, NEW YORK
4. For long and exceptional service as Minister of the Government and in the field of law.
CLIFTON MORTIMER LLEWELYN JOHN FORMER MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE, HOME AFFAIRS AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND ATTORNEY-AT-LAW
5. For long service with exceptional dedication as a religious leader, educator and sports commentator.
APOSTLE WINSTON FRANKLIN McGOWAN, AA,MINISTER OF RELIGION
6. For long and dedicated service of an exceptionally high standard in the Public Service, the Foreign Service and to the Presidency.
ESHWAR VEVAKANAND PERSAUD, AA PROTOCOL ADVISOR, MINISTRY OF THE PRESIDENCY
7. For service of an exceptionally high quality in the field of youth and women’s empowerment, community renewal projects, raising awareness, nationally and internationally, of the urgent need to address mental health issues and in the field of politics.
SUPRIYA SINGH-BODDEN, FOUNDER OF THE GUYANA FOUNDATION
8. For his outstanding contributions in the fields of Law, Legal Education, Literature, Human Rights and in Community and Public Service.
DONALD ASHLEY BEVIL TROTMAN, FORMER JUDGE OF THE SUPREME COURT AND COURT OF APPEAL
9. For his involvement and outstanding contributions in religious and community work, especially among the poor and needy.
ELSWORTH QUINTEL WILLIAMS, APOSTLE, FULL GOSPEL FELLOWSHIP
GOLDEN ARROW OF ACHIEVEMENT
1. For long and dedicated service as Captain, Pilot Coast Guard Commander and Marine Surveyor.
EDGAR WRENSFORD ADAMS FORMER TRANSPORT AND HARBOURS DEPARTMENT,
MINISTRY OF WORKS AND GUYANA DEFENCE FORCE OFFICER
2. For long and outstanding service in the public sector, in the field of politics and in business.
IVOR ALLEN BUSINESSMAN/CONTRACTOR
3. For long and dedicated service to the indigenous peoples of Guyana.
JEANNE SHARON ATKINSON PRESIDENT, AMERINDIAN PEOPLE’S ASSOCIATION
4. For long and dedicated service in the Maritime Sector.
BASIL BRENTNOL BLACKMAN, FORMER COAST GUARD OFFICER,GUYANA DEFENCE FORCE
5. For her outstanding contribution to environmental education, training, research and the development of national policies on natural resource management issues.
PAULETTE EURANIE BYNOE, SENIOR LECTURER, DIRECTOR OF THE EARTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES UNIVERSITY OF GUYANA
6. For long service with exceptional dedication in the public and private sectors and in social work.
MITZY GAYNOR CAMPBELL, OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR KIDNEY FOUNDATION OF GUYANA
7. For long, dedicated service and outstanding service in the field of aviation.
MALCOLM CHAN-A-SUE, MS, FORMER CHIEF PILOT, GUYANA AIRWAYS CORPORATION,
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, AIRCRAFT OWNERS’ ASSOCIATION AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER OF THE ART WILLIAMS/HARRY WENDT AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING SCHOOL
8. For his outstanding service in the field of medicine, for surgery in general and neuro-surgery in particular.
IVOR WINSTON CRANDON, PROFESSOR OF NEUROSURGERY, UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES
9. For long and dedicated service as a teacher and as a community worker in Region 2.
DOREEN PATRICIA DUNCAN, RETIRED HEADMISTRESS.MINISTRY OF EDUCATION
10. For outstanding service in the printing industry for over thirty-five years
FAZIL SHAHIBBDEEN IBRAHIM HAKH, PROPRIETOR, F & H PRINTING ESTABLISHMENT
11. For long, dedicated and outstanding service as a Public Servant.
MARUICE BERTWINSDEL HENRY FORMER DEPUTY CLERK OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
AND PERMANENT SECRETARY MINISTRY OF REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND MINISTRY OF LEGAL AFFAIRS
12. For long and dedicated service in regional administration, in the Cabinet Secretariat and in the National Assembly of the Parliament of Guyana.
SHERLOCK EWART ISAACS, CLERK OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
13. For long and outstanding service in the Guyana Book Foundation.
LEILA JAGDEO FORMER GENERAL MANAGER, GUYANA BOOK FOUNDATION
14. For long and dedicated service in indigenous rights activism.
JEAN BENEDICTA IMELDA La ROSE, PROGRAMME ADMINISTRATOR,AMERINDIAN PEOPLE’S ASSOCIATION
15. For her extensive and exceptional contributions in education and culture at the national and international levels.
DR. PALOMA RAMONA FRANCIS MOHAMED,SENIOR LECTURER, FACULTIES OF SOCIAL SCIENCES AND MEDICAL SCIENCES
16. For long, dedicated and outstanding service in the field of local government and in politics.
PRINCE ALBERT POMPEY COUNCILLOR WOODLANDS/FARM NEIGHBOURHOOD COUNCIL
17. For long and meritorious service to the People of Guyana and as a Minister of the Anglican Diocese.EVAN BREWSTER BRIDGEWATER SEMPLE CANON, CHURCH OF THE TRANSFIGURAITON
18. For long and dedicated service as an educator in nursing and for her pioneer role in the establishment of the degree nursing programme at the University of Guyana.
GWENDOLIN AGATHA TROSS, RETIRED LECTURER, UNIVERSITY OF GUYANA
19. For service of an exceptionally high quality as a water resources and hydropower engineer in the Ministries of Works and Energy and Mines.
MAURICE WILFRED VEECOCK SENIOR LECTURER, UNIVERSITY OF GUYANA
20. For its outstanding service to the community in the West Demerara area.
ANNA CATHERINA ISLAMIC COMPLEX
21. For long and dedicated service in the field of education.
OLGA BONE FORMER HEAD OF THE EXAMINATIONS DIVISION, MINISTRY OF EDUCATION
AND ASSISTANT REGISTRAR OF EXAMINATIONS, UNIVERSITY OF GUYANA
22. For long, dedicated and outstanding service to Guyana, especially for his research and celebration of Guyana’s cultural heritage and as a broadcaster.
WORDSWORTH McANDREW BROADCASTER/FOLK RESEARCHER
MEDAL OF SERVICE
1. For long and dedicated service in the field of politics.
MABEL BAVEGHEMS, FORMER MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT
2. For long service, with exceptional dedication, in the Guyana Public Service.
GORDON CHASE SPECIAL ASSISTANT,MINISTRY OF THE PRESIDENCY
3. For long and dedicated service in the field of education
ROYLANCE PATRICIA DAVID EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, ADULT EDUCATION ASSOCIATION
4. For long and dedicated service in the Public Service and more recently in the Parliament Office.
JAITUN HANIFF-PERSAUD CONFIDENTIAL SECRETARY TO THE SPEAKER
5. For long and dedicated service in the field of nursing.
NOSHELLA LALCKECHARAN, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, NURSING SERVICES,GEORGETOWN PUBLIC HOSPITAL CORPORATION
6. For long and dedicated service as a Forest Officer.
GODFREY EMERSON MARSHALL ADVISOR ON FORESTRY, GUYANA FORESTRY COMMISSION
7. For long and outstanding service in sustainable tropical forest management, wood utilization and marketing of forest products in the development of Guyana’s Forestry Sector.
SHEIK SHAKUR NIAMATALI MANAGING DIRECTOR, VARIETY WOODS AND GREEN HEART LIMITED
8. For long service in the field of women’s affairs and in politics.
DIONYSIA NIEWENKERK CHAIRPERSON, WOMEN’S GROUP, LETHEM
9. For service of a consistently high quality to the residents of Region 7.
AMRITA THOMAS VICE-CHAIRMAN, REGION 7
10. For his long and outstanding involvement in the field of culture and in politics.
BURNELL LANCELOT THOMAS BETTER KNOWN AS ACKU FORMER VICE-CHAIRMAN, REGION 10
MILITARY SERVICE STAR
1. For service of an exceptionally high quality and beyond the normal call of duty in the Guyana Defence Force.
BRIGADIER MARK ANTHONY PHILLIPS CHIEF OF STAFF, GUYANA DEFENCE FORCE
MILITARY SERVICE MEDAL
1. For distinguished service beyond the normal call of duty as an officer in the Guyana Defence Force.
WILBERT ARLINGTON LEE COLONEL (RET’D), GUYANA DEFENCE FORCE
2. For distinguished service beyond the normal call of duty as an officer in the Guyana Defence Force.
WALTER LEYLAND FRANCIS MORRIS, LIEUTENANT COLONEL (RET’D),GUYANA DEFENCE FORCE
1. For sustained and dedicated service of a high order in the Guyana Police Force.
CAROL AUDREY LEWIS-PRIMO, FORMER ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER OF POLICE,
GUYANA POLICE FORCE
2. For sustained and dedicated service of a high order in the Guyana Police Force.
DAVID KENNETH RAMNARINE, ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER OF POLICE, GUYANA POLICE FORCE
3. For sustained and dedicated service of a high order in the Guyana Prison Service.
CARL VONLUDWIG GRAHAME, DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF PRISON, GUYANA PRISON SERVICE
4. For sustained and dedicated service of a high order in the Guyana Prison Service.
WELTON CUTHBERT TROTZ, DIRECTOR OF PRISON, GUYANA PRISON SERVICE
5. For sustained and dedicated service of a high order in the Guyana Fire Service.
DESIREE D’SANTOS-MOORE, RETIRED STATION OFFICER, GUYANA FIRE SERVICE
6. For sustained and dedicated service of a high order in the Guyana Fire Service.
PETER WILSON, RETIRED STATION OFFICER, GUYANA FIRE SERVICE