US-based resident loses Bladen Hall house to fire

Last Updated on Sunday, 19 April 2015, 11:04 by GxMedia

A man, who slept away with a lighted cigarette in his hand, narrowly cheated death after the house he was living in was engulfed in flames  Saturday night, according to well-placed sources.

The fire occurred at 214 Bladen Hall, East Coast Demerara around 11:15 PM. The house is owned by Radesh Singh who lives in the United States.

The lone occupant of the two-flat wooden and concrete building, 45-year old Deo Paul, managed to escape.

Sources said Paul slept away with a lighted cigarette in his hand and it fell on combustible material.

The top flat was destroyed and the bottom flat was severely damaged.

Two neighbouring houses at 213 and 215 Bladen Hall received very minor damage.