Internet Radio

Husband of murdered taxi driver detained

Last Updated on Saturday, 26 December 2015, 20:59 by GxMedia

Savitri Parma

The estranged husband of the female taxi driver who was raped and killed near Dakara Creek, Soesdyke was Tuesday night detained by investigators for questioning, police sources said.

The sources said inconsistencies and questions have surfaced during the probe into last Sunday’s death of 31-year old Savitri ‘Mia’ Parma. A labourer at Bashir’s Loam and Sandpit has been charged with her murder and he is expected to be arraigned on Wednesday.

Police sources said the murder accused has not told police whether he was hired to commit the act some time Saturday night.

However, crime sleuths said their suspicions were aroused by the fact that the taxi driver’s husband, Kissoon Parma, had told a police patrol Saturday night that everything was alright. He later informed that he had been awaiting “his girl”.

Investigators noted that the man did not call any of his wife’s family or relatives but rather he had communicated only to his relatives that he she had gone missing.

Police have also been able to so far find out that the couple have disputes over property.

Mia, who operated her private licensed car as a taxi from the Soesdyke- East Bank Denmerara junction, had picked up the man with the knowledge of her husband.

He has claimed that despite the fact that they were not together, she would normally keep in regular telephone contact with him about her movements.

The woman’s unhurt eight year old son was found in the back seat of the car sleeping. His mother’s body was found about 700 feet away from the car.

Members of a civilian search party who had found the man a short distance away from the crime scene beat him severely before handing him over to police.

Police have, meanwhile, debunked claims by the woman’s relatives that lawmen failed to respond expeditiously to the report. Instead, police said they had ordered the man to leave the area for his own safety.

Police sources said that only one policeman was with a member of the Community Policing Group in the patrol vehicle and so they opted not to go into the dark and desolate area alone. The source said the police were apparently distracted from the scene by a report they had received that the woman was seen nearer the Cheddi Jagan International Airport.  That report turned out to be false.