• Contact Us
  • Advertise with us!
  • Classifieds
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Login
Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely
No Result
View All Result
Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Probe launched into operations of Albion-based orphanage

GxMedia by GxMedia
Saturday, 26 December 2015, 21:00
in News
0 0
0
Probe launched into operations of Albion-based orphanage

Last Updated on Saturday, 26 December 2015, 21:00 by GxMedia

Minister of Human Services and Social Security, Jennifer Webster

Government has launched a probe into the operations of a shelter for children and battered women on the Corentyne, following allegations that three girls had previously fled the institution.

President of Camal’s International Home for the Homeless and Battered Women, Carmen Kissoon has also alleged that the girls have threatened to commit suicide if they had not been allowed to leave the home located at Albion, a short distance from the police station there.

After Kissoon called in the Probation and Welfare Officers, a magistrate ordered that they be sent to the New Opportunity Corps, Essequibo Coast. Pending the submission of the probation officer’s report, they were being kept at the Albion Police Station for more than two weeks now.

But Minister of Human Services, Jennifer Webster told Demerara Waves Online News (www.demwaves.com) that the girls have been since removed from the Albion Police Station and were now the responsibility of the Child Care and Protection Agency (CCPA) of the ministry.

Asked whether the girls would be sent to the NOC, Webster she did not know if that step would be taken. Two of the girls- 15 and 13 years old- are sisters whose parents died of AIDS four years ago and ever since have been orphans.

The Minister reiterated that the ministry had been previously unaware of the matter involving the girls.

The minister said a team under the Chairmanship of Ms. Ayo Dalgetty-Dean would conduct hearings into the operations of the home. “We will have an inquiry into the operations of the home and what led to the wandering of the children as well as other allegations concerning maltreatment and abuse generally,” said Webster.

Kissoon has denied treating the predominantly female population of the shelter badly.

The other members of the team are Saudia Feroze, Irma Bovell, and Joanne Edghill, Lawyer for the CCPA. They are expected to begin their work on Thursday.

Share this:

  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp

Discover more from Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Previous Post

Opposition wants govt inform House on spending of wages allocation

Next Post

Aircraft veers off Ogle runway

Next Post
Aircraft veers off Ogle runway

Aircraft veers off Ogle runway

Recent News

Guyana loans two pumps to flood-hit Suriname

Guyana loans two pumps to flood-hit Suriname

Tuesday, 19 May 2026, 20:23
GuyOil reduces gasolene, gasoil prices

Ali urges fuel importers, transportation operators to reduce profits

Tuesday, 19 May 2026, 19:35
FGM petitions National Assembly over no parliamentary sittings

FGM petitions National Assembly over no parliamentary sittings

Tuesday, 19 May 2026, 18:22
Indian quarry workers were required to pay company if fired

Indian quarry workers were required to pay company if fired

Monday, 18 May 2026, 20:58
Govt gives Indian company 24 hours to respond to alleged workers rights violations

Govt gives Indian company 24 hours to respond to alleged workers rights violations

Monday, 18 May 2026, 18:21

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 157.6K other subscribers

Demerara Waves Media Inc. is a Guyana-based digital news media company committed to delivering timely, credible, and relevant news coverage. We report on key national issues, including politics, business, crime, education, health, sports, and culture, serving readers in Guyana and abroad.

Other News and Opinion Wesbsites

  • Caribbean Political Economy
  • The View From Europe
  • Pan Caribbean Voices
  • Huffington Post
  • Caribbean Life
  • New York Daily News
  • New York Post
  • Share News
  • Caricom Headquarters
  • Association of Caribbean States
  • Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States

Recommended News Links

  • Insight Guyana
  • BBC Latin America
  • Prensa Latina
  • Mercopress
  • Inter Press Service
  • Caribbean Media Corporation
  • Al Jazeera
  • Voice of America
  • Business News Americas
  • All Africa
  • Catholic News Agency
  • Xinhaunet China News Agency
  • Home
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely

© 2026 Demerara Waves Media Inc. | A GxMedia Website Solution.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely

© 2026 Demerara Waves Media Inc. | A GxMedia Website Solution.