Suspected bandits opened fire on police

Last Updated on Saturday, 26 December 2015, 21:00 by GxMedia

The arms and ammunition recovered by the police from the scene at South Road, Georgetown, ySaturday night. Included is a female wig that was found on one of the men (police photo)

Police on Sunday accused the three suspected bandits- two dead and one injured- of opening fire on them when they were intercepted shortly before they were about to rob a guest of K&VC Hotel, South Road, Georgetown.

During the exchange of gunfire Jermaine Canterbury called “Chow”, 21 years, of Hogg Street, Albouystown; and Mark Anthony Joseph called “Two Grand”, 19 years, also of Hogg Street, Albouystown, were fatally shot. Mario Gouveia, 19 years, of James Street, Albouystown, was shot and injured to his face and is a patient under guard at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC).

The police account came less than one day after family members, relatives and associates who were in the GPHC compound Saturday night accused heavily armed police there of killing the two men.

A number of persons, who were on Thomas Street Georgetown, reported hearing gunshots as the police vehicle was heading to the GPHC.

Guyana Police Force spokesman, Superintendent Whitney Bacchus said two unlicensed guns were recovered. They are one .32 revolver with two live rounds and one spent shell, and one .38 snub-nose revolver with three live rounds and three spent shells.

Bacchus said that acting on information received of a planned robbery on an occupant of the K&VC Hotel, police ranks staked out the building during Saturday night.
“At about  8:30 PM the police observed a motor car bearing registration number PPP 8539 which drove up and stopped in Alexander Street. Three men exited the vehicle and subsequently proceeded towards the K&VC Hotel. The police challenged the men who opened fire on them, and the ranks returned fire,” said Bacchus.
Police said a motor car that the three men arrived in was driven away by a suspected accomplice and has not yet been located.
Canterbury was released from prison on March 27, 2012, on bail in the sum of $100,000.00, after being charged with robbery under arms committed on Rajendra Singh of First Choice Jewellery Store and Pawn Shop during May 2010.
Joseph was released from prison on January 22, 2013, on bail in the sum of $150,000.00, after being charged with robbery under arms committed on Andrew Yaw in December 2012.
Gouveia was granted pre-trial liberty on May 6, 2013 when he was granted on bail in the sum of $200,000.00, after being charged with robbery under arms committed on Cecil Gajadhar on March 25, 2013.