• Contact Us
  • Advertise with us!
  • Classifieds
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Login
Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely
No Result
View All Result
Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
No Result
View All Result
Home News Crime

Witness protection sought for undercover policeman who accuses senior officer of cover-up of Paper Shorts suspected killer

Denis Chabrol by Denis Chabrol
Monday, 15 August 2022, 22:19
in Crime, News
0 0
0
Witness protection sought for undercover policeman who accuses senior officer of cover-up of Paper Shorts suspected killer

Sergeant Dion Bascom

Last Updated on Monday, 15 August 2022, 22:20 by Denis Chabrol

Sergeant Dion Bascom

Attorney-at-Law Nigel Hughes on Monday formally asked President Irfaan Ali t0 provide witness protection for an undercover Guyanese policeman who has implicated at least one his colleagues of deliberately botching an investigation into the gunning down of Ricardo “Paper Shorts” Fagundes in March, 2021 in exchange for GY$30 million.

“We are further instructed to request as we hereby do, that in the absence of the establishment of a Protected Disclosures Commission as required by the aforementioned Act, that our client our client be provided with “witness protection” as set out in Section 20  of the Act. We fear that the life of our client is in grave danger,” Mr Hughes told Dr Ali.

Mr Hughes said his client Sergeant Dion Bascom has received death threats since making certain utterances on Social Media against the named senior police officer, the son of a well-known city gold dealer and his security guard. They have since dispatched letters from their lawyer to Mr Bascom refuting his claims and requesting a public apology or face multi-million dollar lawsuits.

Prior to Mr Bascom’s arrest by Customs Anti-Narcotic Unit (CANU) agents at a house where 1.5 kilogrammes of cocaine were allegedly found, he worked up to recently as a driver at a civilian organisation. He has been released from custody without charge for any drug related offence. According to his statement dated 7th February, 2022, he was an intelligence operative attached to the Major Crimes Unit and he had been subsequently instructed to go “deep cover” and was not required to report to the Criminal Investigations Department.

In a letter to the lawyer, Sohan J Poonai, who is representing the police officer, the gold dealer’s son and his named security guard, Mr Hughes maintained that Mr Bascom’s claims of their involvement are true. “We are instructed to inform you as we hereby do, that our client rejects the demands contained in several letters and has instructed to inform you that the contents of the broadcast are true in substance and in fact,” Mr Hughes told Mr Poonai.

Attorney-at-Law Hughes said Sergeant Bascom planned to defend himself in any defamation lawsuit that challenges his statements on Social Media. “We are finally instructed to inform you, as we hereby do. that should your clients contemplate the commencement of any of the proceedings contained in your letter, they will be stoutly defended,” he said.

The Guyana Police Force said last week that acting on Mr Bascom’s allegations on social media, the law enf0rcement agency’s Office of Professional Responsibility has launched a probe.

Deported drug convict, Shaheed ‘Roger’ Khan, with whom Fagundes had been socialising at Palm Court, is already on record as saying that there was a cover-up of the killing of his family-friend

Mr. Hughes accompanied his letter to President Ali with Mr Bascom’s very detailed statement about the alleged roles of certain persons in the killing of Fagundes, the police officer’s alleged receipt of GY$30 million to cover up the probe, and the apparent advance notice to the security guard to leave his Bent Street, Georgetown home to avoid arrest.

The police officer, the gold dealer and the guard have denied the allegations that Bascom made on Social Media.

Share this:

  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp

Discover more from Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Previous Post

Jordan recommends African Development Fund, scientific study of Afro-Guyanese socio-economic conditions

Next Post

Rohee to be sworn in as GECOM Commissioner today

Next Post
Rohee to be sworn in as GECOM Commissioner today

Rohee to be sworn in as GECOM Commissioner today

Recent News

Govt gives Indian quarry company 24 hours to respond to alleged labour rights violations

Govt gives Indian quarry company 24 hours to respond to alleged labour rights violations

Monday, 18 May 2026, 18:21
Indian nationals get back passports, await outstanding salaries

Indian nationals get back passports, await outstanding salaries

Monday, 18 May 2026, 16:39
APNU+AFC takes steps to recall Geeta Chandan-Edmond for endorsing PPP’s Irfaan Ali

APNU’s Mahipaul questions suitability of new REOs

Sunday, 17 May 2026, 15:28

President announces new REOs

Sunday, 17 May 2026, 11:16
Labour ministry probing working conditions at India-owned quarry in Region 7

Labour ministry probing working conditions at India-owned quarry in Region 7

Sunday, 17 May 2026, 0:06

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 157.6K other subscribers

Demerara Waves Media Inc. is a Guyana-based digital news media company committed to delivering timely, credible, and relevant news coverage. We report on key national issues, including politics, business, crime, education, health, sports, and culture, serving readers in Guyana and abroad.

Other News and Opinion Wesbsites

  • Caribbean Political Economy
  • The View From Europe
  • Pan Caribbean Voices
  • Huffington Post
  • Caribbean Life
  • New York Daily News
  • New York Post
  • Share News
  • Caricom Headquarters
  • Association of Caribbean States
  • Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States

Recommended News Links

  • Insight Guyana
  • BBC Latin America
  • Prensa Latina
  • Mercopress
  • Inter Press Service
  • Caribbean Media Corporation
  • Al Jazeera
  • Voice of America
  • Business News Americas
  • All Africa
  • Catholic News Agency
  • Xinhaunet China News Agency
  • Home
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely

© 2026 Demerara Waves Media Inc. | A GxMedia Website Solution.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely

© 2026 Demerara Waves Media Inc. | A GxMedia Website Solution.