• Contact Us
  • Advertise with us!
  • Classifieds
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Login
Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely
No Result
View All Result
Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
No Result
View All Result
Home News

$200M to fight Guyana/Venezuela border controversy

Denis Chabrol by Denis Chabrol
Thursday, 18 February 2016, 13:41
in News
0 0
0
$200M to fight Guyana/Venezuela border controversy

Foreign Affairs Minister, Carl Greenidge

Last Updated on Thursday, 18 February 2016, 13:42 by Denis Chabrol

The Government of Guyana has set aside a total of $200M that will be used as legal fees to defend Guyana against the continued aggression from Venezuela in the current border controversy.

This was revealed by Foreign Affairs Minister Carl Greenidge under scrutiny from Opposition Chief Whip Gail Teixeira as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs budget was scrutinized on Thursday.

According to Greenidge, the $200M Budgeted under “Other” in the Ministry’s budget will be used as monies to pay legal representatives if the case between Guyana and Venezuela goes to the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

Government has previously adumbrated that it would prefer a juridical settlement in the Guyana/Venezuela border controversy.

In 2015, the Vice President said that Guyana has two options when it approaches the ICJ, one of which would be for the court to make a decision on the substantive issue and the other for the court to offer an opinion.

Guyana intends to seek the opinion of the court on the 1899 Arbitral Award, which Venezuela for the past 50 years has claimed is invalid. Should the ICJ make a decision in favour of the award, that decision would be definitive, Greenidge explained.

The options available have all been tried…under one name or another and they have all been found wanting…at the end of the exercise, they left Guyana at a disadvantage,” said the Vice President later adding “Venezuela has been arguing that the 1899 award is null and void; for an award to be deemed null and void it has to be a process of law.”

The Foreign Affairs Minister made it clear that any definitive solution to the problem would include answering the question of whether the award was null and void.

“Unless that contention is withdrawn…all the things that the UN might do will not help one iota,” Greenidge emphasized.

Share this:

  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp

Discover more from Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Tags: GuyanaGuyanese
Previous Post

‘Caribbean Mosquito Awareness Week’ part of measures to curb Zika virus

Next Post

Guyana’s Ambassador to Venezuela finally accredited

Next Post
Guyana’s Ambassador to Venezuela yet to present credentials

Guyana's Ambassador to Venezuela finally accredited

Recent News

APNU+AFC takes steps to recall Geeta Chandan-Edmond for endorsing PPP’s Irfaan Ali

APNU’s Mahipaul questions suitability of new REOs

Sunday, 17 May 2026, 15:28

President announces new REOs

Sunday, 17 May 2026, 11:16
Labour ministry probing working conditions at India-owned quarry in Region 7

Labour ministry probing working conditions at India-owned quarry in Region 7

Sunday, 17 May 2026, 0:06
Guyana launches maths task force to address innumeracy

Guyana launches maths task force to address innumeracy

Saturday, 16 May 2026, 17:42

President calls on public to support Joint Services amid threats from adversaries

Saturday, 16 May 2026, 14:18

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 157.6K other subscribers

Demerara Waves Media Inc. is a Guyana-based digital news media company committed to delivering timely, credible, and relevant news coverage. We report on key national issues, including politics, business, crime, education, health, sports, and culture, serving readers in Guyana and abroad.

Other News and Opinion Wesbsites

  • Caribbean Political Economy
  • The View From Europe
  • Pan Caribbean Voices
  • Huffington Post
  • Caribbean Life
  • New York Daily News
  • New York Post
  • Share News
  • Caricom Headquarters
  • Association of Caribbean States
  • Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States

Recommended News Links

  • Insight Guyana
  • BBC Latin America
  • Prensa Latina
  • Mercopress
  • Inter Press Service
  • Caribbean Media Corporation
  • Al Jazeera
  • Voice of America
  • Business News Americas
  • All Africa
  • Catholic News Agency
  • Xinhaunet China News Agency
  • Home
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely

© 2026 Demerara Waves Media Inc. | A GxMedia Website Solution.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely

© 2026 Demerara Waves Media Inc. | A GxMedia Website Solution.