“Grey Boy” remanded to prison for Courtney Crum-Ewing’s murder

Last Updated on Friday, 28 April 2017, 8:57 by Denis Chabrol

Regan “Grey Boy” Rodrigues leaving court Monday, January 11, 2015.

Regan “Grey Boy” Rodrigues was Tuesday remanded to prison until later this month in connection with the alleged murder of political activist, Courtney Crum-Ewing, two years ago.

Rodrigues, who was arrested on Good Friday,  refused to enter the court room and instead remained in the locks up area and behaved in a disorderly manner.

The presiding magistrate eventually went downstairs to Rodrigues and informed him that the Director of Public Prosecutions, Shalimar Hack has reopened the case.

She ordered that he returns to court on April 25, 2017. Rodrigues, who was arrested at Middle Road, La Penitence, has been remanded to prison.

He was previously released on September 14, 2016 because of insufficient evidence to convince the court that he must be trialed by a High Court judge and jury.

One month ago, the DPP ordered that the murder case be reopened to allow City Magistrate, Judy Latchman to take additional evidence. ““The sole purpose of this remit is to take further evidence from police witnesses and to rule on the voluntariness of all oral statements of the accused,” the DPP’s Chambers has said in a statement.

Courtney Crum-Ewing

The matter will be prosecuted by Special Prosecutor, Attorney-at-Law, Nigel Hughes who had been among the first on the scene at Diamond, East Bank Demerara on March 10, 2015,

Crum-Ewing was gunned down  while on a megaphone urging residents to go out and vote for the A Partnership for National Unity+ Alliance For Change (APNU+AFC) coalition in the May, 2015 polls.

Rodrigues had won a case of illegal gun possession before he the murder charge against him had been discharged. At that time, police had claimed that ballistic tests on a hand gun found in his possession allegedly proved that it was the same weapon that was used to kill Crum-Ewing.