Early morning fire guts Regent Street store building

Last Updated on Thursday, 10 September 2015, 9:49 by GxMedia

An early Thursday morning fire gutted a Regent Street building that housed several stores, leaving several lowly-paid store workers out of a job.

The building, which is located at Regent and King Streets, housed Ashok Store and two other smaller stores.

The cause of the blaze was not immediately known.

Fire fighters and police cordoned off the scene with barriers. A lone policeman with a high-powered gun stood guard.