Last Updated on Monday, 17 August 2015, 16:11 by GxMedia
The People’s Progressive Party (PPP) on Monday laid down several conditions for participating in the long-delayed Local Government Elections (LGE) that the David Granger administration intends to call before year-end.
The PPP says it is prepared to participate in this election providing that the conditions are conducive for its active participation.
Local Government Elections have not been held since 1994.
These conditions include among others;
1. Ensure each elector is placed in exactly the specific constituency and/or Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC) where they are residing and is on the appropriate list of electors specific to that constituency and/or NDC.
2. The boundaries for each NDC and constituency are settled to the complete satisfaction of the PPP with the names and addresses of each elector situated within the relevant boundary where the elector is a resident.
3. There should be public re-advertisement for officials who are desirous of filling specific positions and responsibilities on election’s day on behalf of GECOM.
4. The Claims and Objections period be held in conformity with the lists of elections agreed upon and accepted by the political parties.
5. Mount an aggressive and user-friendly public relations campaign targeted to specific issues of concern to the elector and the proportional representation and constituency electoral process.
6. Launch an aggressive public relations campaign encouraging electors to take advantage of transfers to allow them to vote at the elections.
7. There should be public vetting of polling day staff already in the pool save their placement at specific polling stations.
8. The PPP will also be pressing for the following:
a new Voters’ List
implementation of an e-voting system
ethnic balance in staff hired by GECOM