Internet Radio

Police get more time to detain suspect in killing of Hamson’s owner

Last Updated on Tuesday, 28 July 2015, 10:31 by GxMedia

late owner of Hamson’s General Store, Farouk Hamid.

The High Court has given granted Guyanese police more time to permission to detain a prime suspect in the killing of the owner of Hamson General Store, Farouk Hamid, beyond the initial 72 hours.

Head of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID), Senior Superintendent Wendell Blanhum told Demerara Waves Online News that the suspect was still in custody assisting investigators

Blanhum said police were also looking for two other suspects, but he declined to name them.

The suspect, who was a handyman at Hamid’s home at Nandy Park, East Bank Demerara,  was held in the gold mining area of Aranka in Region Seven on Friday, July 24, 2015 in connection with the stabbing death of Hamid in April of this year. Hamson’s General Store is located on Regent Street between Albert and Oronoque Streets, Georgetown.

Hamid was stabbed, lashed to his head and robbed of his licensed firearm and other valuables he had on his person. The perpetrators then entered his house and ransacked it for more items. The handyman has already told police that he and two other persons committed the offence.

Guyanese law prevents the detention of a suspect for more than 72 hours without him or her being charged. If the police needs more time to continue their investigation, they have to apply to the High Court.

Police were, however, not required to seek a High Court order to extend the detention of the major suspect in the shooting death of Courtney Crum-Ewing because he is on remand for illegal possession of a gun and ammunition.

Meanwhile, police are yet to complete their investigations into that incident that occurred on March 10, 2015 at Diamond, East Bank Demerara. After the probe is concluded, Blanhum said the file would be dispatched to the Director of Public Prosecutions for advice.

Stand-alone Airport Delay Map

Find us on Facebook