Last Updated on Monday, 18 May 2015, 22:59 by GxMedia
The bodies of six of the 10 miners, who were trapped in a caved-in mining pit at Mowasi in Region Eight (Potaro-Siparuni) were recovered Monday but their identities are unknown, according to a senior police officer.
The police officer said the bodies would have to be taken to a mortuary in Georgetown where residents could go to identify them because the mortuary at the Mahdia Hospital does not have space for the several bodies. The search continues for four others.
Seven others were rescued Sunday and rushed to the Mahdia Hospital.
The man, who is said to be responsible for employing the miners, does not have a record of their names and addresses, according to the source.
No one has been arrested. Investigators have since learnt from the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission that the man responsible for the ill-fated mining operation had previously secured two injunctions against a prominent miner.
The incident occurred about 2:30 PM Sunday. Residents in Mahdia say that region has been experiencing heavy rainfall for several days now, making mining areas more vulnerable to erosion and pit cave-in due to soil instability.
It takes about two hours from Mowasie to the Mahdia Hospital.