Last Updated on Thursday, 2 April 2015, 14:54 by GxMedia
The Guyana Telephone and Telegraph (GT&T) in February commenced the country wide roll-out of upgraded internet speeds delivering new plans with speeds up to 10Mbps, the fastest ever in Guyana, the company said in a statement.
As promised by CEO RK Sharma at a media dinner back in January, GT&T is delivering faster internet speeds throughout Guyana, which started with Eccles as the first community to get upgraded in March, and enhancing most of its customer’s internet service by the end of 2015.
Current GT&T Internet subscribers will automatically experience new speeds of ‘up to’ five times that of which they currently get at reduced prices. The services will be offered to both residential and business customers and will be sold in packages of Bronze, Silver and Gold within the range of 1Mbps to 10 Mbps. For customers who do not qualify for higher speeds, because of where their homes are located, they will receive price reductions on their existing speed of almost 50%.
Said Mr. Sharma about the rollout, “GT&T is committed to being the best provider of information and communications services in Guyana. As we have seen around the world, access to high speed Internet and advanced mobile communications is a substantial driver in the development of economies, improvement in the earning power of workers, advancement in education, and personal fulfillment of individuals through improved access to information, entertainment and social interaction with friends and family.
GT&T’s commitment to the people of Guyana is to alwaysprovide faster and better services at competitive prices and to continually earn its position as the best and logical choice for customers. We hope and expect that our customers will be blown away by the new Internet speed increases arising from our investments.
As part of an ongoing and increasing investment program by GT&T, our employees are energized by this commitment and we hope to share this excitement with our current customers, as well as those new customers who will join us.”
For more information on GT&T’s investments and detailed information on the enhanced rollout please visit gtt.co.gy.
The Diamond/Grove, Nandy Park, Providence, and Houston communities on the East Bank of Demerara and Enterprise on the East Coast, also had their internet speeds increased last week. The exercise is ongoing and will continue to other communities each month throughout the year. Customers will be informed directly when they have been upgraded but can always check at www.gtt.co.gy for their enhanced internet eligibility status.
· Your current internet speeds are being boosted FIVE TIMES the current speed for FREE!
· You do not have to pay for the increased speeds
· In fact, we now have more options for you with plans and speeds up to 10Mbps for only $14,979 per month.
· You have now become a post-paid customer with a standardized payment date
· Payment due on the first of every month but you have 10 days grace period to make payment before disconnection is applied
· You can access your invoice at any time by signing up for My Account at myaccount.gtt.co.gy. It’s an incredibly convenient service; all you need is your account number, phone number and a valid email address to sign up.
· Existing internet customers do not need to apply for this service
· Once an area has been upgraded, customers can visit our website to check their eligibility for the upgrade
Customers have three plans with more speed and lower rates from which to choose:
|Old Plan Name||Old Plan Speed||Cost||New Plan Name||New Plan Speed||Cost|
|Residential Lite||Up to 512kbps||$4,999||Residential Bronze||Up to 1.5Mbps||$4,999|
|Residential Standard||Upto 1.5Mbps||$9,980||Residential Silver||Up to 5Mbps||$9,980|
|Residential Gold||Up to 10Mbps||$14,979|
Simple things that can be done to enjoy maximum speeds
While the process is generally very straight forward and implemented as a backend action from GT&T, it is always good to share some handy tips with customers that they can employ to ensure you enjoy those speeds.
· Install a filter on your phone(s) if necessary: Installing a filter on your phones is simple and can result in much faster internet speeds. You can pick-up free filters at any GT&T business office.
·Reboot your modem: Unplugging your modem for 30 seconds will retune your service to ensure the fastest speeds available.
· Reset your wireless router: Periodically unplugging your wireless router for 30 seconds will clear its cache and can help increase internet speeds.
· Limit the number of connected devices: Connecting multiple internet devices to your network reduces the speed available for each device. Limiting the number of internet connected items ensures bandwidth isn’t being shared among all your electronics.
· If you follow these four easy steps you can be sure you are getting the most out of your internet plan.