Last Updated on Saturday, 26 December 2015, 20:59 by GxMediaThe Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) could in the coming days advise whether policemen accused of sexually assaulting a detainee with a baton almost four months ago would be charged.
Police said the file was last week Friday sent back to the DPP’s Chambers after further investigations were conducted into the allegation by Colwyn Harding. “The file had been sent back to the police by the DPP for further investigations to be conducted,” said police force spokesman, Ivelaw Whittaker.
The investigation has so far revealed that there was no evidence to show that Harding was sexually assaulted but that he had sustained a hernia after jumping off a stairs in the Georgetown Prison. A report on an investigation by the Police Office of Professional Responsibility had recommended various assault charges for a number of the policemen. They have been all transferred from the Timehri Police Station since the incident.
The DPP had, however, asked the police to conduct additional investigations after his Attorney-at-Law, Nigel Hughes had produced medical records to show that Harding’s illbess was not due to a hernia.
Harding had accused the police of sodomizing him with a baton while in custody last November at the Timehri Police Station. He had been arrested in connection with the receipt of stolen property.