• Contact Us
  • Advertise with us!
  • Classifieds
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Login
Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely
No Result
View All Result
Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Opposition not going for reduced electricity rates hike

GxMedia by GxMedia
Saturday, 26 December 2015, 21:01
in News
0 0
0
Opposition not going for reduced electricity rates hike

Last Updated on Saturday, 26 December 2015, 21:01 by GxMedia

The opposition parties have slapped down a government feeler about a compromise figure for the proposed electricity rates increase, remaining adamantly against any rates hike at this time.

Government sources on Thursday indicated to Demerara Waves Online News that consideration was being given to raising the tariffs by about 10 percent rather than the 26.7 percent that the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) wants to in compensation for a $5.2B cut from its 2013 budget.

But Leader of the Opposition David Granger late Thursday night said his coalition, the APNU, was maintaining its position.

“We’re against any increase in the tariff; we feel that the working people have got enough to bear as it is. GPPL must increase its efficiency, reduce the corruption, reduce the line losses and reduce the effects of the bad management,” he told DemWaves.

The company has said that some 31 percent of the power produced is lost in transmission and to theft and its audited accounts showed a $7.6B loss for 2012.

Meanwhile, AFC Leader Khemraj Ramjattan saw the new figure as a realisation by the government that it had “muddled” with the call for a 26.7 percent increase.

“Their own supporters have been giving them hell over the last week since they made that call and it’s so silly they now themselves understand that 26 percent is going to kill the ordinary people.

According to him, the $5.2B could be restored later in the year if the government was to follow the measures proposed by his party. The AFC had also suggested that the government could prepay the electricity bills for its ministries and agencies which amount to more than the money cut.

“I am saying it should be no percent increase because there are ways of getting the money, and we did not block the 5.2 billion, we have deferred approval and if they can just be transparent and accountable we gonna do it,” Ramjattan said.

GPL in a release on Saturday said that the 26.7 percent increase would allow it to recover the $5.2B over an eight-month period with that being May to December 2013. The last tariff increase was done in 2008.

Share this:

  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp

Discover more from Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Previous Post

Soldier found dead in house

Next Post

Alleged wife killer arraigned

Next Post
Alleged wife killer arraigned

Alleged wife killer arraigned

Recent News

APNU+AFC takes steps to recall Geeta Chandan-Edmond for endorsing PPP’s Irfaan Ali

APNU’s Mahipaul questions suitability of new REOs

Sunday, 17 May 2026, 15:28

President announces new REOs

Sunday, 17 May 2026, 11:16
Labour ministry probing working conditions at India-owned quarry in Region 7

Labour ministry probing working conditions at India-owned quarry in Region 7

Sunday, 17 May 2026, 0:06
Guyana launches maths task force to address innumeracy

Guyana launches maths task force to address innumeracy

Saturday, 16 May 2026, 17:42

President calls on public to support Joint Services amid threats from adversaries

Saturday, 16 May 2026, 14:18

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 157.6K other subscribers

Demerara Waves Media Inc. is a Guyana-based digital news media company committed to delivering timely, credible, and relevant news coverage. We report on key national issues, including politics, business, crime, education, health, sports, and culture, serving readers in Guyana and abroad.

Other News and Opinion Wesbsites

  • Caribbean Political Economy
  • The View From Europe
  • Pan Caribbean Voices
  • Huffington Post
  • Caribbean Life
  • New York Daily News
  • New York Post
  • Share News
  • Caricom Headquarters
  • Association of Caribbean States
  • Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States

Recommended News Links

  • Insight Guyana
  • BBC Latin America
  • Prensa Latina
  • Mercopress
  • Inter Press Service
  • Caribbean Media Corporation
  • Al Jazeera
  • Voice of America
  • Business News Americas
  • All Africa
  • Catholic News Agency
  • Xinhaunet China News Agency
  • Home
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely

© 2026 Demerara Waves Media Inc. | A GxMedia Website Solution.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely

© 2026 Demerara Waves Media Inc. | A GxMedia Website Solution.