Last Updated on Saturday, 22 August 2026, 19:58 by Denis Chabrol
The Canawaima Ferry Service has been suspended and passengers in Guyana and Suriname have not been told when the transportation link between Guyana and Suriname would resume operations.
Guyana’s Public Works Minister Juan Edghill and the Canawaima Ferry’s terminal manager, Deyne Harry did not immediately respond to requests for additional information.
The Canawaima Ferry Service Inc in Guyana would only say that the “service has been temporarily suspended due to technical issues on board the MV. Canawaima.”
No information was provided about the problems facing the ferry, and assured that every effort was being made to fix them after which passengers would be informed. “Management is working assiduously to have these issues resolved at the soonest possible time. Please be advised that the public will be adequately notified about the resumption of service as soon as these issues are addressed,” the Canawaima Ferry Service Inc said.
Starnieuws reported on Saturday that the reason for a temporarily halt of the service is “scheduled maintenance”. There were long lines of vehicles at Moleson Creek in Guyana and South Drain in Suriname since Friday waiting to cross.
Earlier this month, the Maritime Administration of Suriname (MAS) had warned that the ferry service would have been ordered to cease operations on August 14, 2026 if a number of things on the vessel were not fixed. In addition, MAS had asked that all firefighting equipment be present, inspected, and immediately be ready for use, and the fire detection and firefighting system must be fully operational. The MAS had also requested that all crew members possess valid Basic Safety Training and Crowd Management certificates. If certain certificates are not yet available, written proof must be provided that the relevant training courses will be completed within one month. In addition, MAS had asked that an independent, recognised ship surveyor must carry out an inspection and assessment of the watertightness of the hull and the cofferdams of the vessel.
Guyana’s Public Works Ministry has already made it clear that under the joint venture agreement, “Guyana supplies all fuels, lubricants and batteries to facilitate the daily operation of the ferry while Suriname takes care of the maintenance and dry docking of the vessel.”
Meanwhile, Guyana’s Opposition Leader Azruddin Mohamed on Saturday appealed to the Public Works Ministry to “immediately intervene” in the situation. He said the stranded passengers at Moleson Creek were running out of fuel, money and fuel and others were forced to remain in and around the ferry terminal “under less than ideal conditions” without any clear indication of when the vessel would resume operations. “Passengers need more than a vague notice. They need assistance and relief. I am calling on the embattled Minister of Public Works Edghill to immediately engage the authorities in Suriname, provide whatever emergency assistance is necessary and give the public a clear update on when the ferry service is expected to resume,” Mr Mohamed said in a video statement.
Mr Mohamed said Guyanese were forced to stay in hotels, after waiting for long hours in their vehicles. He added that many persons on Guyana’s shore informed him that they lost all their monies that were paid for hotels and Airbnb in Suriname.
Discover more from Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.





