• Contact Us
  • Advertise with us!
  • Classifieds
Thursday, August 20, 2026
  • Login
Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely
No Result
View All Result
Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
No Result
View All Result
Home News

House approves $6B sugar subsidy

GxMedia by GxMedia
Saturday, 26 December 2015, 20:59
in News
0 0
0
House approves $6B sugar subsidy

Last Updated on Saturday, 26 December 2015, 20:59 by GxMedia

Sugar workers picketed Wednesday’s sitting of the National Assembly.

The parliamentary opposition Wednesday night voted in favour of the $6B subvention for the struggling GuySuCo as consideration of the $220B budget estimates got underway.

The parties had been indicating since the budget reading on March 31 that they were going to cut the subvention if they were dissatisfied with the answers to their questions.

Agriculture Minister Dr. Leslie Ramsammy was peppered with questions about how the money would be spent and the competence of a new GuySuCo Board.

He had indicated that the turnaround plan for the industry had to be reworked and it was suggested that he return for a part of the subvention later. But Dr. Ramsammy said it was important that they had the money to make the investments now in order to capitalise later.

More than 100 sugar workers had gathered outside the Public Buildings earlier in the day to protest against a possible cut of the sugar money.

Speaking to Demerara Waves Online News afterward the minister said he had been worried that the allocation would have been cut but he was grateful the opposition MPs gave him a chance to furnish them with the answers to their questions.

“I am glad that we were able to provide the assurances because it would have been a mistake to cut GuySuCo budget. Even if we have concerns about GuySuCo we should be addressing those concerns, find practical ways of addressing them.”

According to the minister, sugar was too important an industry not to be supported. He added that the passage of the subvention demonstrated a “conviction” that GuySuCo could work if the right things were done. 

With the exception of the allocations for the National Drainage and Irrigation Authority the rest of the funds earmarked under the agriculture heading were approved unchallenged. 

Share this:

  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp

Discover more from Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Previous Post

Bandits grab millions from businessmen

Next Post

Professor Norman Girvan dies

Next Post
Professor Norman Girvan dies

Professor Norman Girvan dies

Recent News

Chief Elections Officer faces life imprisonment, hefty fines; special provisions for Region Four declaration of results in draft amended election law

Opposition Leader seeks international community’s help to end GECOM stalemate

Thursday, 20 August 2026, 7:42
Norton promises to revitalise PNCR after recent electoral defeat

Norton blisters Mohamed, demands APNU seat on local gov’t commission

Wednesday, 19 August 2026, 21:33
OPINION: Charles Ramson, Jr. for president, not just yet

OPINION: Permanent farmer’s market: let it be tried

Wednesday, 19 August 2026, 15:58
President’s declared farm size nearly half of satellite measurement

President’s declared farm size nearly half of satellite measurement

Wednesday, 19 August 2026, 6:54
MV Barima inquiry commissioners sworn in, media not invited

MV Barima inquiry commission opens next month – Ali

Wednesday, 19 August 2026, 6:03

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 165.2K other subscribers

Demerara Waves Media Inc. is a Guyana-based digital news media company committed to delivering timely, credible, and relevant news coverage. We report on key national issues, including politics, business, crime, education, health, sports, and culture, serving readers in Guyana and abroad.

Other News and Opinion Wesbsites

  • Caribbean Political Economy
  • The View From Europe
  • Pan Caribbean Voices
  • Huffington Post
  • Caribbean Life
  • New York Daily News
  • New York Post
  • Share News
  • Caricom Headquarters
  • Association of Caribbean States
  • Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States

Recommended News Links

  • Insight Guyana
  • BBC Latin America
  • Prensa Latina
  • Mercopress
  • Inter Press Service
  • Caribbean Media Corporation
  • Al Jazeera
  • Voice of America
  • Business News Americas
  • All Africa
  • Catholic News Agency
  • Xinhaunet China News Agency
  • Home
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely

© 2026 Demerara Waves Media Inc. | A GxMedia Website Solution.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely

© 2026 Demerara Waves Media Inc. | A GxMedia Website Solution.