• Contact Us
  • Advertise with us!
  • Classifieds
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Login
Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely
No Result
View All Result
Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Canadian company was dropped from contract for InterEnergy

Denis Chabrol by Denis Chabrol
Monday, 4 August 2025, 17:44
in Business, Energy, News, Politics
0 0
0
Gas-to-energy electricity plant delayed to 2026

Last Updated on Monday, 4 August 2025, 17:44 by Writer

Left to right: GPL’s CEO Kesh Nandlall, Permanent Secretary of the Prime Minister’s Office Alfred King and Prime Minister Mark Phillips in the National Assembly on May 23, 2025.

Although Prime Minister Mark Phillips had almost three months ago stated that a US$7 million contract had been “allocated” to the Canada-based Method4 Engineering to supervise the over US$400 million expansion of the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) grid, the power company’s chief on Sunday said no deal was signed with that company.

In response to opposition parliamentarian Volda Lawrence’s question in the National Assembly on May 23, 2025, Mr Phillips had said that “the name of the company that was allocated the consultancy contract is Method4; Method4, that is name of the company; it is a Canadian company – Method4.”

The Prime Minister had told the National Assembly that the cost of hiring Method4 would have been US$7 million but the Tender Evaluation document published by the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board (NPTAB) states that the bid amount was US$9,792,500.

GPL Chief Executive Officer Kesh Nandlall said, while the invitation to bid was advertised, “we did not complete the process”. He said GPL had questions about the bidders experience, resulting in a decision not to award a contract. Mr Nandlall said, at the same time, the government had been in talks with InterEnergy Group and eventually opted to go ahead with that company. “Simultaneously, we were engaging InterEnergy to do supervisory consulting work and then we decided that, with their experience, they have the technical experience to do it,” he said.

However, Mr Nandlall reiterated on Sunday that no contract was signed with Method4 for a project management consultancy and owner’s engineering services for the construction and integration of substation, transmission and distribution lines and supply of specialized distribution and hotline maintenance equipment. He also said no contract was inked with the Dominican Republic InterEnergy Group as negotiations were underway. “No contract was awarded to anybody,” he told Demerara Waves Online News.

The Indian firm, Kalpataru, and Power China had been awarded the over US$400 million contract to run 300 kilometres of 230 kV and 69 kV transmission lines that would receive and distribute electricity from the 300 megawatt natural gas-fired plant at Wales, construct several substations and other related works.

On July 17, 2025 cabinet granted its no-objection to NPTAB’s recommendation that the contract be awarded to InterEnergy Group at a fee of US$650,000 per month. InterEnergy, officials said, could be working in Guyana for at least two years.

The opposition A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) vice presidential candidate, Ganesh Mahipaul on Sunday questioned Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo’s vigorous defence of InterEnergy Group. “This contradiction strikes at the very heart of truth and transparency,” he said. “It is your tax dollars, it is our oil revenues, and it is the future of this country’s energy security. When billions are being spent, and the Government can’t even get its story straight, alarm bells must ring,” said Mr Mahipaul, also a parliamentarian.

Mr Jagdeo last Thursday, told a news conference that there were several proposals from different groups, but InterEnergy “was the most cost-effective one.”

The President of the Dominican Republic, Luis Abinader has so far visited Guyana thrice.

InterEnergy Group, a private company that has worked in several other Latin American and Caribbean countries, signed a memorandum of understanding with GPL in 2024.

Share this:

  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp

Discover more from Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Tags: CanadaDominican RepublicGPL contractGuyana Power and Light (GPL)InterEnergy GroupMethod4 EngineeringNational AssemblyPrime Minister Mark Phillips
Previous Post

Ali denies govt’s role in cancellation of bank accounts

Next Post

APNU touts youth fund, guaranteed percentage of oil earnings

Next Post
APNU touts youth fund, guaranteed percentage of oil earnings

APNU touts youth fund, guaranteed percentage of oil earnings

Recent News

Indian quarry company denies workers’ allegations, probe continues- Labour Minister

Indian quarry company denies workers’ allegations, probe continues- Labour Minister

Wednesday, 20 May 2026, 11:24
Guyana loans two pumps to flood-hit Suriname

Guyana loans two pumps to flood-hit Suriname

Tuesday, 19 May 2026, 20:23
GuyOil reduces gasolene, gasoil prices

Ali urges fuel importers, transportation operators to reduce profits

Tuesday, 19 May 2026, 19:35
FGM petitions National Assembly over no parliamentary sittings

FGM petitions National Assembly over no parliamentary sittings

Tuesday, 19 May 2026, 18:22
Indian quarry workers were required to pay company if fired

Indian quarry workers were required to pay company if fired

Monday, 18 May 2026, 20:58

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 157.6K other subscribers

Demerara Waves Media Inc. is a Guyana-based digital news media company committed to delivering timely, credible, and relevant news coverage. We report on key national issues, including politics, business, crime, education, health, sports, and culture, serving readers in Guyana and abroad.

Other News and Opinion Wesbsites

  • Caribbean Political Economy
  • The View From Europe
  • Pan Caribbean Voices
  • Huffington Post
  • Caribbean Life
  • New York Daily News
  • New York Post
  • Share News
  • Caricom Headquarters
  • Association of Caribbean States
  • Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States

Recommended News Links

  • Insight Guyana
  • BBC Latin America
  • Prensa Latina
  • Mercopress
  • Inter Press Service
  • Caribbean Media Corporation
  • Al Jazeera
  • Voice of America
  • Business News Americas
  • All Africa
  • Catholic News Agency
  • Xinhaunet China News Agency
  • Home
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely

© 2026 Demerara Waves Media Inc. | A GxMedia Website Solution.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Premium News
    • Politics
    • Courts
    • Crime
  • Oil & Gas
  • Business
  • Agriculture
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contribute Securely

© 2026 Demerara Waves Media Inc. | A GxMedia Website Solution.