Last Updated on Monday, 16 March 2015, 23:19 by GxMedia
The two men held in connection with the shooting death of political activist, Courtney Crum-Ewing almost one week ago have so far been cleared of that crime, a senior police officer said Monday night.
The police sources said they were now searching for two other men who they believe may be able to provide useful information about the incident that has rocked the country that is heading into general elections.
The Head of the Criminal Investigations Department, Assistant Commissioner Leslie James told Demerara Waves Online News that he was yet to be briefed on the probe. Subsequent telephone calls to him went unanswered.
However, another senior police officer said the two men were expected to be released from custody on Tuesday after results from gun residue tests become available. That officer said that so far there is no evidence to prove that the men were responsible for the death of 40-year old Crum-Ewing at about 8 PM on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 on Third Street, Diamond. An identification parade by an eyewitness did not confirm that those were the perpetrators.
At the time, he had been on a loud hailer urging people to come out and vote in the May 11, 2015 general and regional elections.
Contrary to an earlier report, the detainees are not 17 years old each, but are instead 29 and 31 years old who live in the same household. One of them sells windows and the other is a taxi driver, according to James.
Asked why a prominent official of the Office of the President has not been questioned, the Head of the Criminal Investigations Department said if investigators have reason to do so they would follow such a lead. It is being done impartially. We are not selectively dealing with this investigation,” James told Demerara Waves Online News.
The government and the opposition have been demanding a thorough investigation, but they differ to the extent that the opposition has been pointing accusing fingers at the ruling People’s Progressive Party (PPP).