Major fire averted at Giftland Officemax

Last Updated on Saturday, 26 December 2015, 21:00 by GxMedia

A major fire was averted at Giftland OfficeMax Christmas Eve night when an air condition unit malfunctioned.

Chief Executive Officer, Roy Beepat told Demerara Waves Online News that the fire occurred on the outside of the building at Water and Holmes Streets about 10:45 PM. “It appears as though two wires were bridged,” he said.

None of the stocks was burnt but, according to Beepat, there was a small extent of water-damage.

Smoke eventually entered the building through an air condition duct, forcing management to order staff and customers to evacuate the building.

Beepat said everyone left the building in an orderly manner and fire fighters were summoned. After the fire fighters left, management officials were seen speaking with numerous staff member-mainly female- who were witnessing the occurence.

With the fire having been extinguished, he said investigations would be conducted.