Guyanese mother, sick Trinidadian two-year old son deported

Last Updated on Saturday, 26 December 2015, 21:00 by GxMedia

(TRINIDAD EXPRESS).-A Guyanese woman and her ailing two-year-old son, a Trinidad national, were deported hours after the child was discharged from hospital on Monday night.

The child’s mother, Rosinda Nicholson, who arrived in Trinidad five years ago, is now appealing to Minister of Health Fuad Khan to intervene.

Her sister, Errolyn Pierre, said the mother and son arrived at their family’s home in Berbice, Guyana, yesterday.

“She called to say she arrived safely, but the child is very sick. The IV burnt his hand and she is now seeking medical attention in Guyana. But she is seeking assistance to return to Trinidad for her child’s sake,” said Pierre.

Two-year-old Elijah Harris was diagnosed with autism and is unable to walk or speak properly.

“The child was improving here in Trinidad. He was going to therapists and showing positive signs. His father left when he was one-year-old so my sister had to raise the child alone. I told her she needed to apply for public assistance and we went to the immigration department to apply for residency,” Pierre said.

Nicholson was offered voluntary departure to return to Guyana to have her passport and other documents renewed, she said.

The mother and son returned to Trinidad on October 10.

“The immigration officers detained her at the airport and said she was being deported back to Guyana on the next available flight. They remained in the airport until my nephew collapsed with a seizure. They were taken to Arima District Hospital and transferred to Mt Hope,” Pierre said.

Nicholson was allowed to remain at her son’s bedside, guarded by an immigration officer.

“She was not allowed to leave the compound to bathe or get food,” her sister said.

The little boy was discharged from hospital on Monday night. He and his mother were immediately taken to Piarco International Airport and placed on a flight to Guyana.

“This was heartless and wrong. The little boy is a Trinidadian, he should be allowed to get medical attention here. We are calling on the Minister of Health to tell us if this is right. He was denied medical treatment here because his mother is Guyanese. She wants to return to Trinidad to continue the therapy and other medical treatment. We need help,” Pierre said.

Calls and text messages to Khan’s cellphone remained unanswered last evening.