Internet Radio

New Amsterdam Technical Institute student electrocuted

Last Updated on Saturday, 26 December 2015, 21:00 by GxMedia

Azam Inshan

A student of the New Amsterdam Technical Institute (NATI) was electrocuted Wednesday night while plugging in a washing machine, his father said.

The 17-year old boy has been identified as Azam Inshan of Cotton Tree, West Coast Berbice.

He was a second year student pursuing studies in Internal Combustion Engineering.

His father, Mohammed Inshan, said he learnt that his son was downstairs attempting to plug in the washing machine to a transformer when his brother heard him screaming. The area is powered by 240 volts.

The teenager was about to wash a shirt when tragedy struck. Although his brother switched off the electricity, his brother was unconscious and he died moments later.

The senior Inshan is a teacher at Fort Wellington Secondary School and his wife, Bindoo Inshan, is the Head Mistress at Mora Point Nursery School, Mahaicony Creek.