Third bandit died in GPHC from head injury

Last Updated on Saturday, 26 December 2015, 21:00 by GxMedia

Mario Gouveia (Kaieteur News photo)

A suspected bandit, who was shot to his cheek during an exchange of gunfire with police, died because of head injury, according to an autopsy conducted on Monday.

Government Pathologist, Dr. Nehaul Singh found that 19-year old Mario Gouveia died as a result of “brain haemorrhage due to blunt trauma to the head.”

But the GPHC said that more tests are to be conducted. Dr. Singh, who is a member of staff at GPHC, has also confirmed that more tests are to be conducted. He mentioned that the bullet entered through the ear and exited at the side of the face thereby causing blunt trauma. As soon as the final results are in, a determination will be made.”

Gouveia was shot on October 12, 2013 and succumbed two days later while under police guard at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC).

His father, Donald Gouveia, had expressed concern about the mysterious death of his son although hours before he had appeared alert and was on the road to recovery from the gunshot injury.

The elder Gouveia had said that he would have pressed for a private autopsy including a toxicology test. In the past, at least two murder suspects had died mysteriously at the GPHC while under police guard.

The GPHC said that contrary to claims by Gouveia’s relatives that he did not receive proper care, no complaint was received by the health care provider.

Fatally shot by police at the scene near the K&VC Hotel, South Road were Jermaine Canterbury called “Chow”, 21 years, of Hogg Street, Albouystown; and Mark Anthony Joseph called “Two Grand”, 19 years, also of Hogg Street, Albouystown.

Police claimed that the suspected bandits opened fire as they approached them to foil a planned robbery on an occupant of the hotel.  The lawmen said two unlicensed guns were recovered. They were one .32 revolver with two live rounds and one spent shell, and one .38 snub-nose revolver with three live rounds and three spent shells.
Canterbury was released from prison on March 27, 2012, on bail in the sum of $100,000.00, after being charged with robbery under arms committed on Rajendra Singh of First Choice Jewellery Store and Pawn Shop during May 2010.
Joseph was released from prison on January 22, 2013, on bail in the sum of $150,000.00, after being charged with robbery under arms committed on Andrew Yaw in December 2012.
Gouveia was granted pre-trial liberty on May 6, 2013 when he was granted on bail in the sum of $200,000.00, after being charged with robbery under arms committed on Cecil Gajadhar on March 25, 2013.