Last Updated on Saturday, 26 December 2015, 21:01 by GxMediaThe two BOSAI Mining Company workers who were seriously injured in last week’s accident at Linden are said to be recuperating after undergoing surgery.
Fabian Anthony and Marlon Pollydore were admitted to the Mackenzie Hospital after a heavy duty truck ran over a pickup in which they were travelling on Thursday. Three of their colleagues were killed in the accident.
Junior finance minister Juan Edghill, who visited the mining community on Friday, told reporters on Monday that the men had to undergo complicated surgery.
“There was in place the kind of personnel to provide the intensive care treatment, surveillance and monitoring and the young men are on their way to recovery,” he said.
The minister added that he met BOSAI management officials and they indicated that they would be working with the families of the deceased to address funeral arrangements and other forms of support.
Those killed last Thursday were Michael Williams, 45 , of Coomaka Mines, Linden; Trenton Gardner, 62, of Industrial Area, Linden; and Kester Grant, of Block 22, Wismar. Reports from the area indicated that the truck and the pickup were travelling on an internal road when the pickup in an attempt to overtake slid under the larger vehicle. The driver of the pickup was one of the men killed.
“The young man that was the driver of that heavy duty equipment was released from police custody while I was in Linden on Friday and I had an opportunity to talk to him and his family as well.
He wanted to express to the families and to all concerned the deep sorrow and regret, indicating that these were men he travelled to work with every day in the bus and it was an accident, and that’s what it is,” Edghill said.
In addition to the police involvement the Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment Robert Persaud had mandated that the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission conduct an investigation into the accident.