Last Updated on Tuesday, 19 October 2021, 14:33 by Denis Chabrol
The engine of a cargo ship, owned by a Vincentian company, was early Tuesday morning badly damaged by fire while it was moored at wharf in Guyana, the local fire service said.
“The cause of the fire was determined as overheating of a generator in the fore peak of the ship which resulted in arcing and sparking. The generator was severely damaged and a quantity of rope was destroyed as a result of the fire,” the fire service said.
The vessel has been identified as “Sydney Marie” bearing IMO number 7432317 and official number 400913. Authorities said the vessel transports aggregate transport and is owned by Odin’s Trading, Main Street, Charlestown, St. Vincent. The vessel is captained by 56-year-old Richard Bynoe also of St. Vincent.
Authorities said no one was injured and firefighters contained the blaze to the generator room and so averted the destruction of the vessel.
The Guyana Fire Service said it received a call at 3:31 Tuesday morning and was alerted of a vessel on fire at Gafoor’s Complex, Land of Canaan, East Bank Demerara.
Aside from fire-fighting equipment and personnel being trained in its use, these are some of the basic rules sea-farers can follow to prevent accidental fires on ships:
- Prohibition of open flame on ships or in cabins, such as candles, cigarettes, or incense sticks, unless they are lit in the presence of people and extinguished before leaving
- Ensuring that circuit overloading is avoided at all costs
- Avoiding carrying of oil rags into cabins or accommodation areas where the possibility of accidental flames is higher
- Not leaving oil pans unattended in the open
- Following all safety procedures while performing maintenance operations like welding or gas cutting where flammable material is involved
- Complete understanding of fire-fighting equipment and basic training in its operation