Last Updated on Tuesday, 22 March 2016, 11:33 by Denis Chabrol
Authorities on Wednesday urged residents to take the necessary precautions against flooding expected as a result of high tides that are predicted to be as much as 9 feet high
“All persons residing along the banks of rivers and low lying coastal areas are advised to take all the necessary precautions against possible flooding,” the Ministry of Public Infrastructure said in a high tide alert.
The Ministry also urged vessels and other persons to be extra careful. “Precaution should also be taken by all mariners including those operating fishing vessels and larger vessels. Use of beaches and foreshore areas for recreational purposes during this period is not advised.”
The Ministry of Public Infrastructure said its advise is in keeping with spring tides period of March 20, 2016 to March 27, 2016. The predicted tide indicates above normal levels for this impending period. “The Sea and River Defence Department considers the following areas to be particularly susceptible to possible flooding as a result of storm surges which may induce overtopping of sea/river defence structures.”
Residents and businesses in the following areas are expected to be affected by the high tides
- Johanna Cecelia/Zorg,Charity & along Pomeroon River Banks
- Zeelandia/Moor Farm,Marionville/Bendorff, Good Success/Sarah – Wakenaam Island
- Thierens/Success, Maryville, Cane Field/Amsterdam, Endeavour/Blenheim – Leguan Island
- Crane to Ruimzigt;Anna Catherina to Leonora, W.C.D; Belle Vue, W.B.D; Look Out, Salem/Sparta, E.B.E
- Water Street, Georgetown;Kingston, Georgetownto Ogle, E.C.D
The highest tides are expected to be on Wednesday March 23, 2016 at 4:12 am at a height of 2.96 metres and Thursday March24, 2016 at 4:41 am at a height of 2.95 metres.
Contact Telephone Nos.226-0650, 226 -1070,226-4368, 619-3552, 654-4226, 654-4227, 662-4927.