Internet Radio

Back-pay for public servants, security forces, some teachers

The Guyana government announced salary increases of between five and eight percent for public servants and the security services but teachers earning more than GUY$50,000 (US$236) monthly would not be entitled to a retroactive pay increase, according to a statement from the Office of the President.

President Donald Ramotar’s office said that more than 20,000 public servants and members of the Disciplined Forces  have been granted wage and salary increases ranging from 5% to 8% retroactive to January 1, 2014. The calculation is based on their earning as of December 31, 2013.

Government explained that in keeping with its commitment to provide these increases, Public Servants and Members of the Disciplined Forces earning above GUY$50,000 (US$236) monthly wages and salaries as of December 31, 2014 are being granted an across the board increase of 5%, while those earning less than GUY$50,000 (US$236) monthly as at December 31, 2013 would be receiving 8% across the board increase, retroactive to January 1, 2014. 

The Office of the President added that teachers earning less than GUY$50,000 (US$236) monthly as at December 31, 2013 are being granted an additional 3% across the board increase, on top of the 5% increase already paid to them in keeping with the multi-year agreement concluded with their Union, bringing their total increase to 8%, retroactive to January 1, 2014.

No mention was made of teachers earning more than GUY$50,000 (US$236) monthly.

Circulars have already been issued to effect the payment of these increases on the wages and salaries for 2014.