Internet Radio

Business

Sugar workers’ unions appeal dismissed by Caribbean Court of Justice

The Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) on Tuesday found that the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (“GAWU”) and National Association of Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Employees (“NAACIE”) were adequately consulted before the government’s decision to close the Rose Hall and Enmore sugar estates on December 29th, 2017. GAWU and NAACIE represented most of the workers employed by the Guyana ...

Read More »

Environmental Economist tipped to head Guyana’s Energy Department

Dr. Mark Bynoe is tipped to head the Ministry of the Presidency’s Department of Energy, multiple sources confirmed Sunday. President David Granger is expected to officially announce Bynoe’s appointment in early August. Bynoe, according to sources, was in Guyana last week as part of talks to finalise  his appointment. His last known appointment before returning to Guyana has been Assistant Executive ...

Read More »

Money changer “Bigga” shot, robbed

A money changer was Sunday afternoon shot and robbed of GY$120,000 by a lone gunman who pounced on him, demanded the cash and fled on a waiting motorcycle. Sustaining a gunshot wound to his left thigh is 60-year old Rockford “Bigga” Richardson of 56 Freeman Street, East La Penitence, Georgetown. No one has been arrested and persons at Longden Street, ...

Read More »

ExxonMobil yet to fully quantify Stabroek Block discoveries to date

ExxonMobil on Friday indicated that it has not fully estimated the amount of commercially available oil that has been discovered so far at the Stabroek Block offshore Guyana, saying that it was still to quantify the Ranger well. “We have some more appraisal wells to go in Ranger.We know, of course, from our discovery that we have a considerable resource. ...

Read More »

Funding for Lethem-Linden road, new Demerara River bridge likely through China’s Silk Road initiative

Guyana and China on Friday inked an accord to facilitate cooperation through the the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road Initiative that could pave the way for funding the construction of the Linden-Lethem Road and a new Demerara Harbour Bridge. China’s Ambassador to Guyana, Cui Jianchun singled out the Linden-Lethem Road, Demerara Harbour Bridge and the upgraded ...

Read More »

More Guyanese to be employed with Edison Chouest Offshore

More Guyanese are expected to be employed by Edison Chouest Offshore as the company aims to soon open its local company ‘G (Guyanese) Boats’ in Georgetown to support Guyana’s emerging offshore oil and gas sector. That was disclosed by the company’s Business Development Manager, Daniel LaFont, who was at the time speaking on the sidelines of the El Dorado Offshore ...

Read More »

CARICOM countries exposed to training to better monitor medicines

The Ministry of Public Health, in collaboration with the Pan American Health Organisation/World Health Organisation (PAHO/WHO), is currently hosting a Post Market Surveillance and Pharmacovigilance Workshop in Guyana, to improve monitoring of medicines for safety and quality in CARICOM states. The sub-regional workshop is intended to expose senior regulatory officials from CARICOM countries to key approaches and tools that can ...

Read More »

Afro-Guyanese promised easier access to loans, grants; govt to be asked for more money

The Ministry of Business’ Small Business Bureau on Wednesday announced that it was offering up to 70 percent guarantee of loans with the expectation that supporting commercial banks would take the risk on the remaining 30 percent. SSB Chief Executive Officer, Lowell Porter explained that at first the guarantee was 40 percent if borrowers fail to repay the banks, but ...

Read More »

Frank Anthony criticises government for chalking up huge public debt; Jordan says treasury bills will be issued

The opposition People’s Progressive Party (PPP) is increasingly hammering government over spending billions of tapping into more GY$50 billion from the Bank of Guyana for public spending, the latest critic being parliamentary front-bencher Dr. Frank Anthony. “As a Member of Parliament, it is my responsibility to continue to use my office to bring light to these significant bread and butter ...

Read More »

One-stop Afro-Guyanese business development outreaches get underway

Afro-Guyanese businesses are being mobilised to show them how they can access financing and understand some of the basic rules of doing business, as part of an overall move to nurture more Black-owned businesses, a top local organiser said. The first of three outreaches is slated for Wednesday at 1 PM at Critchlow Labour College, Woolford Avenue. The Chief Executive ...

Read More »