Last Updated on Sunday, 28 May 2023, 14:31 by Denis Chabrol
A man believed to be an accomplice convicted mass murderer, Royden “Smallie” Williams was shot dead Sunday.
“Intelligence led to a confrontation with one of the accomplices, who was fatally shot,” police said in a statement. Police did not immediately name the dead man.
Police said no firearm was recovered in the shootout at St Mary’s Logging Area, Essequibo River, about 58 miles south of Bartica.
However, the prison escapee on Sunday remained on the run nine days after he fled the Mazaruni Prison in a hail of gunfire between heavily armed gunmen and prison guards.
The search for the convicted killer and his accomplice intensifies, police said.
Last week, four prison officers, a businessman and a Venezuelan woman were charged with conspiring to facilitate the escape of Williams from the Mazaruni Prison.
(1)Rajmohan Autor called “Chico’, age 48 years, a businessman of Parika Outfall, Fast Bank Essequibo
(2) Frangeliz Jugandry Flores Perez, age 28 years, a Venezuelan National of Alexander Street Kitty
(3) Omar Witherspoon, Prison Officer #3775, age 26 years of lot 41 Stanley town, New Amsterdam, Barbice
(4) Conroy Hosannah, Prison Officer #3429, age 35 years of lot 218 Forth Ordinance Housing Scheme, East Canjie, Berbice
(5) Oldfield Romulus,age 50 years, a Prison Officer of Lot 136 Victoria Cumberland Village, East Canji Berbice
(6) Alexander Hopkinson, age 59 years, a prison officer of 5 Miles Housing Scheme Bartica Potaro Road.
Police said that on May 19, 2023, they conspired with other persons unknown to assist Royden Williams also known as Mark Williams and Royden Durant called “Smallie” in escaping from lawful custody under sentence of death.
Williams was sentenced to death for the murder of eight persons during the Bartica massacre in 2018. He was also found guilty for the murder of a Guyana Defence Force soldier.