Fire fighters and staff members of the Bank of Guyana averted what could have possibly been a major fire at the country’s Central Bank.
The minor incident occurred at about 9:30 Saturday night.
Governor of the Bank of Guyana, Dr. Gobind Ganga told Demerara Waves Online News that fumes emitted after an electric wire got into contact with an air condition unit. “When the plastic somewhat melted, that was pulled into the air condition so the smoke and the smell- not so much the smoke but the smell- was always there so they found it and it was resolved last night,” he told Demerara Waves Online News.
Ganga said nothing in the Audit Department, which is located on the third floor overlooking Main Street, was damaged. “Although the fire service left, I remained there to know exactly what it was,” he said.
Fire Chief, Marlon Gentle confirmed that fire fighters responded to a report at the Bank of Guyana.
He said investigators were still probing the incident in which highly sensitive smoke alarms went off due to something burning.