A major shake-up in the command structure of the Guyana Police Force (GPF) has begun with the retirement of two top police officers and the assumption of Seelall Persaud as the new Police Commissioner.
Replacing Persaud as Chief of Criminal Investigations is Senior Superintendent, Leslie James who was previously the Head of Special Branch. Taking over from James at Special Branch is long-time Deputy Crime Chief, Winston Cosbert. The new Deputy Crime Chief is Senior Superintendent Marlon Chapman who has been moved from Officer-in-Charge of Crime at “A” Division.
Following last week’s retirement of Assistant Commissioner, George Vyphuis – who was head of ‘A’ Division- Superintendent Clifton Hicken has been brought from ‘D’ Division (West Coast-West Bank Demerara/East Bank Essequibo) to take over ‘A’ Division. Moving to ‘D’ Division is Ian Amsterdam, the second-in-command to Vyphuis.
The full list of confirmed promotions as provided to Demerara Waves by a usually reliable source follows:
1. Senior Superintendent Clifton Hicken from Commander D Division to ‘A” Division as Commander
2. Superintendent Dion Moore from Officer-in-Charge of Traffic at “A Division to Second-in-Command of “A Division
3. Senior Superintendent Leslie James from Head of Special Branch to Criminal Investigations Department (CID) as Crime
4. Senior Superintendent Marlon Chapman from Officer-in-Charge of Crime at “A” Division to Criminal Investigations
Department (CID) as Deputy Crime Chief
5. Superintendent Michael Sutton from Commissioner’s Office as Personal Assistant to the Commissioner to “E” Division as
6. Senior Superintendent Nigel Hoppie from Headquarters as Force Finance Officer to “B” Division As 2nd In Command as
7. Superintendent Kevin Boodram from Deputy Force Finance Officer to Finance Officer
8. Superintendent Adrian Simon from Headquarters as Officer- in- charge of Tactical Services Unit to Felix Austin Police
College as Commandant. Senior SuperintendentPaul Williams remains as the Force Training Officer
9. Senior Superintendent Ian Amsterdam from “A” Division as Second-in-Command of “A” Division as his Substantive Rank
and Commander Acting of “A” Division to “D” Division as Commander
10. Superintendent Calvin Brutus from “B” Division as Officer- in-Charge of Traffic in “B” Division to “A” Division as Officer-in-
Charge of Traffic
11. Superintendent Karim Baksh from “”” Division as Officer-in-Charge of Number Three Sub Division to Commissioner’s
Office as the Personal Assistant to the Commissioner.
Assistant Commissioner, David Ramnaraine remains in charge of Operations and Assistant Commissioner Balram Persaud is still responsible for Administration.
Seelall assumed office as Police Commissioner following the retirement of Leroy Brumell less than one month before Vyphuis also retired. Anpther recent retiree is Assistant Commissioner, Eric Bassant.