Internet Radio

13 now homeless in two fires

Five persons were early Sunday night displaced after fire destroyed the shack they were living in at Zeelugt, East Bank Essequibo.

Fire Chief, Marlon Gentle said initial reports are that a woman failed in her effort to throw a flaring kerosene stove out of the dwelling.

He said the stove remained inside the shack at Phase Two, Zeelugt Housing Scheme eventually engulfing it in flames.

That fire has now brought to 13 the number of persons rendered homeless by fire on Sunday.

The first was at Charles Street, Charlestown where fire of electrical origin destroyed a two-flat wooden house that belonged to Mines Officer, Gavin Stuart.

A nearby resident reported hearing electrical wires sparking about 15 minutes before that fire erupted.